Video Shows Jackson’s Head Catching Fire
Posted by Data Locker - A Pot of Information on July 17, 2009
The horrible burning of his hair was not a pleasant thing that occurred in his life. It could probably one of the reasons why he got addicted to painkiller drugs.
The harrowing video shows Jackson dancing down stairs for the commercial completely unaware that his head is in flames.
The “King of Pop” was making a Pepsi advert at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on January 27, 1984 when the horrific accident took place, caused by fireworks that exploded too early.
Jackson suffered severe burns to his hair and scalp. “He was never the same after the accident,” Us Weekly said in a report accompanying the release of the video late Wednesday. The 50-year-old superstar died on June 25 from an apparent cardiac arrest.
Still images of the accident had been released but the video had never been shown publicly before. Contacted by AFP, Us Weekly refused to reveal how it obtained the copy.”As a policy we do not comment on how we acquire material,” said Cheryl Crowley, a spokesperson for the magazine.
Jackson, 25 and at the height of his “Thriller” fame when the video was shot, made the commercial with his brothers with thousands of fans in the audience. In the video, the first try appeared to go smoothly, with Jackson dancing down the steps in his signature moves, but the director ordered more takes.
It was the sixth take that went horribly wrong, the video showing Jackson facing the audience beneath a lighting rig when the fireworks exploded around him. He kept dancing and spinning, unaware that his hair and head were burning.
The flames went out when he twisted around as part of his routine. But others saw the accident and security guards rushed to the scene in a split second. His brother Jermaine turned to see Michael Jackson in trouble.
“Pepsi is being made a scapegoat here. It is grossly unfair for the media to blame this incident as the start of all his troubles,” said Coleman who managed the Pepsi-Michael Jackson relationship for 10 years. Jackson “never put a blame on Pepsi. Pepsi made a donation of over a million dollars to start a burns center in his name and they paid for all the medical expenses,” Coleman said.